Teaching all three of my kids at different grade levels can get kind of wearing at times. It is great to find educational aids that my kids enjoy and I can trust. One that I have found to be very helpful in our schooling is Spelling City.
Spelling City is an award winning website dedicated to helping teachers and students especially in the area of spelling and vocabulary. My kids love using Spelling City to help practice their words each week. I love it because it frees up my time a little bit, while the kids are still learning and having fun.
Spelling City has many free amenities. Here are a few that I enjoy.
- Learning Activities- The kids enjoy playing the free games that are available. One of their favorites is finding their words in Word Search. They even enjoy taking the test on Spelling TestMe.
- Printable Activities- I like that I can print out some of the activities for them to do on paper for extra practice. I regularly print out handwriting worksheets for them to write their spelling words for the week.
- Teaching Resources- There are numerous resources on this website to help you teach. One of those resources are the many themed spelling lists. The themes are based on phonics, holidays, geography, samples by grade, and more. Another new resource they feature, that has been helpful to me in teaching, is their syllables video and games. The video teaches the child different ways to find the parts of a word, and then the child can play games to get more practice.
All the benefits of a free membership are great but there is even more advantages if you opt for a Premium Membership.
- Assignments- As a premium member you can assign what games or tests you want your child to play. You can also look in the grade book and see how they did and what words they may need to work on. Being able to give them assignments gives the teacher a little more control without having to look over their shoulder all the time.
- Downloading lists- This is a great benefit to me. With the free version I have to manually enter every spelling list for three different children. The premium version allows you to download other people’s lists. This will be a great time saver.
- Additional activities- There are quite a few additional activities included with the premium membership. Since my kids are getting older, they have more and more vocabulary words to learn. The Vocabulary TestMe and other vocabulary games are really helpful for my kids to learn their definitions and have fun. My kids also enjoy the new spelling games. One of their favorites is LetterFall. They have to catch the correct letter drip to spell their word.
The Premium Membership is only $29.99 per year for a family of up to five students. I think this is a very reasonable price considering all that Spelling City offers. I encourage you to check out Spelling City and see the benefits it can bring to your school.
I’ve been given a premium membership to VocabularySpellingCity.com for a candid, personal, online review.
VocabularySpellingCity.com helps students study word lists using 25 different learning activities such as MatchIt Sentences, HangMan, and Word-O-Rama. Parents can create their own spelling lists, find published lists already available on the site, or use any dozens of free teaching resources on topics such as analogies and compound words. Be sure to come back in three weeks to read about my experience.
There might be more free memberships available for bloggers. If you’re interested, find out how you can review VocabularySpellingCity.com